Senior Writer: Paras Kela
There are many reasons why you might not want to share your real phone number with the other person. Perhaps you don’t trust that person, don’t want to reveal your identity, or don’t want to mix your personal and professional lives. Whatever your reason, we, fortunately, have a solution for you known as second number apps or change phone number apps to address this issue efficiently.
This guide will examine the top 10 phone number-changing apps. The list includes both paid and free apps for changing phone numbers. But first, let’s briefly overview what the change phone number app is all about.
What Are The Phone Number Changing Apps?
Phone number-changing apps are simply mobile applications that provide users with a second number that they can use in place of their regular number. However, these apps disguise your identity and benefit you in multiple ways. For example, second phone number apps assist businesses/individuals with the following:
- Keeping personal and professional lives separate
- Creating a professional image for the brand
- Improves and streamlines business communication
- Keeping in touch with loved ones/customers 24/7
- Connecting to a person with poor network coverage
- Significantly reduce communication costs
- Scaling phone lines as needed in real-time
In addition to these key advantages of phone number-changing apps, it also helps users with analytics and reports. Furthermore, unlike traditional phone systems, these apps are simple to set up, don’t require a SIM card, and are easy to use.
Comparison of Top 10 Apps To Change Phone Number
The table above presents a comparison of the top 10 apps that can be used for changing phone numbers. It includes well-known apps such as Hushed, Burner, and TextNow and provides details on various aspects of each app such as features, pricing plans, pros, and cons. The table serves as a helpful resource to make an informed decision on which app to choose based on personal needs and preferences:
|App Name||Key Features||Pricing||Pros||Cons|
|DialerHQ||Call forwarding Custom voicemail greeting Number selection from various countries Call recording||Starting from $10/month||- Offers call forwarding and call recording features - Allows selection of phone numbers from different countries - Provides a customizable voicemail greeting option||- Need Stable Internet Connection|
|Hushed||Temporary and permanent phone numbers Text and picture messaging Customizable voicemail Auto-reply messages||Custom pricing||- Offers temporary and permanent phone numbers - Provides text and picture messaging features - Includes a customizable voicemail and auto-reply message option||- Weekly subscription cost can add up over time|
|Line2||Virtual phone number Call and message forwarding Auto-attendant Team messaging||Starting from $15.99/month||- Offers a virtual phone number and call/message forwarding features - Includes an auto-attendant and team messaging option - Provides integration with other apps such as Slack and Salesforce||- Higher starting price compared to some other options|
|Burner||Temporary and permanent phone numbers Call and text forwarding Voicemail transcription Auto-reply messages||Starting from $4.99/month||- Offers temporary and permanent phone numbers - Provides call and text forwarding features - Includes a voicemail transcription and auto-reply message option||- Weekly subscription cost can add up over time|
|Phoner||Temporary and permanent phone numbers Call and text forwarding Voicemail transcription Auto-reply messages||Custom Pricing||- Offers temporary and permanent phone numbers - Provides call and text forwarding features - Includes a voicemail transcription and auto-reply message option||- Weekly subscription cost can add up over time|
|Sideline||Separate business phone number Team messaging Auto-attendant Call and text forwarding||Starting from $9.99/month||- Offers a separate business phone number - Provides team messaging and auto-attendant features - Includes call and text forwarding options||- Higher starting price compared to some other options|
|TextNow||Free phone number Text and picture messaging Voicemail transcription Customizable ringtone||Starting from $8.99 per month||- Offers a free phone number with basic features - Provides text and picture messaging and voicemail transcription - Includes a customizable ringtone option||- Ads may be annoying for some users|
|TextFree||Free phone number Text and picture messaging Customizable voicemail International calling||Custom Pricing||- Offers a free phone number with basic features - Provides text and picture messaging and customizable voicemail - Includes international calling options||- Ads may be annoying for some users|
|Ring4||Virtual phone number Call and message forwarding Team messaging Auto-attendant||Starting from $9.99/month||- Offers a virtual phone number with call and message forwarding features - Provides team messaging and auto-attendant options - Includes integration with other apps such as Slack and HubSpot||- Higher starting price compared to some other options|
|Telos||Temporary and permanent phone numbers Text and picture messaging Call forwarding International calling||Custom Price||- Offers temporary and permanent phone numbers - Provides text and picture messaging and call forwarding features - Includes international calling options||- Some advanced features may require in-app purchases|
10 Best Apps To Change Phone Number
Following is a handpicked list of the apps that change phone numbers when calling someone. Each of these applications has its own set of advantages, disadvantages, and features. Let’s take a closer look at each of them so we can make an informed decision and select the best one.
DialerHQ is a personal phone number app that runs over WiFi and has some exciting features and affordable pricing plans. Even though the application is relatively new to the market, it has established itself as a key player quickly.
In addition, this change phone number app allows you to choose a number with your desired country and area code. It can be easily set up without needing additional hardware, SIM card, or technical knowledge.
- Global number selection
- Access from anywhere
- High-quality calling
- Seamless setup
- Call forwarding
- Affordable pricing plans
DialerHQ has three subscription pricing plans: monthly, quarterly, and yearly.
- Standard Plan: $10/month
- Premium Plan: $20/month
- Unlimited Plan: $30/month
These are the monthly prices. However, if you choose a quarterly or yearly subscription, you will receive a 25-30% discount on the prices.
Pros and Cons of DialerHQ
- Offers seamless call forwarding.
- Provides cost-effective communication solutions.
- Presents a user-friendly interface.
- Includes international calls and texts at no extra cost.
- Provides limited safety features.
- May experience lagging call quality.
- The mobile app requires improvement.
How To Set Up
- Download the DialerHQ app from the App Store.
- Select the phone number with the country code of your choice.
- Connect with anyone at any time via DialerHQ.
DialerHQ is ideal for personal use, startups, agencies, small businesses, and medium businesses.
Hushed is yet another best app to change phone numbers, allowing users to make calls and send messages over the internet without needing a SIM card. The app provides over 300 area codes in the United Kingdom, the United States, and Canada.
Besides that, one feature distinguishing Hushed from other number-changing apps or Hushed alternatives is its ability to manage multiple numbers on a single device. Overall, it’s an excellent phone number-changing app for dating, online classifieds, business, travel, and other purposes.
- Custom voicemail greetings
- Call forwarding & call routing
- Auto-reply messages
- DropBox/Slack integrations
- Free phone number
Hushed temporary phone number app has three pricing options: Prepaid, Unlimited, and Pay-as-you-go. All three plans can be customized as per your specific requirements.
Pros and Cons of Hushed
- User-friendly interface.
- No contracts are involved.
- Great call quality.
- No registration or verification is required.
- It cannot be used for 911 emergencies.
- Verification texts or SMS shortcodes may not function.
- The setup is quite challenging.
How To Set Up
- Download the Hushed app from the App Store/ Play Store or visit their website.
- Create an account by entering your email address, username, and password.
- Choose a password that meets Hushed’s security standards.
- Complete any additional sign-up requirements as prompted by the app or website.
- Once you successfully create an account, use Hushed to manage your communication needs.
Hushed is ideal for small businesses, startups, and personal use
Line2 comes in at number three on our list of the top 10 apps to change phone numbers. Line2, like other phone number-changing apps, works over the internet, does not require a SIM card, and is accessible from anywhere.
Besides, it allows users to make calls, send messages, and screen and block spam calls or unwanted calls. Moreover, the app provides unlimited calling within the US and Canada and affordable pricing options. Overall, Line2 is a promising phone number change app with many features.
- On-demand scalability
- Easy to set up
- Available on iOS, Android, Mac, and Windows
- No new hardware required
- Works over WiFi, 4G, LTE
Line2 change number app is available in two versions:
- Monthly Plan: $15.99/month
- Yearly Plan: $13.75/month
Pros and Cons of Line2
- Unlimited texting and calling.
- WiFi texting and VoIP calling features.
- No need for cellular data.
- Line2 is extremely affordable and reliable.
- Line2 only offers U.S. and Canadian phone numbers.
- Analytics and reporting are limited and require additional costs.
- No video conferencing or collaboration tools.
How To Set Up
- Look for the Line2 app on PlayStore (Android) or App Store (iOS).
- Tap the Install button on Android or the cloud icon and then the Install button on iOS.
- If you use iOS, you must confirm your Apple ID and password to complete the installation.
- After installing the app, create an account or use your existing Line2 number and password.
Line2 is ideal for startups, personal use, and small businesses
Burner is one of the most popular and trusted private phone number applications for changing phone numbers. This phone number-changing app is designed to protect your privacy, organize your social circles, and allow you to make anonymous phone calls.
The app lets you mute and blocks spam numbers, allowing you to receive calls from only selected contacts. Furthermore, your Burner numbers cannot be traced back to your primary number, whereas deleting and switching numbers gives you control when needed.
- Muting and blocking spam
- Picture & group messaging
- Auto-reply texts
- Unlimited calls & texts
- Delete/switch numbers
Burner has two pricing plans, as listed below:
- 1 Line (Web): $4.99/month
- 1 Line (Mobile): $9.99/Month
Pros and Cons of Burner
- Manages multiple numbers from a single app.
- User-friendly interface.
- Offers price flexibility.
- Facilitates creating and destroying numbers easily.
- May have issues with receiving incoming calls.
- Suitable for short-term use only.
- Call lags.
How To Set Up
- First, ensure you are in the ‘All Numbers’ Inbox. Tap the Gear icon at the top right of the Main Screen, select ‘Burner Numbers,’ and tap ‘+ Create Number.’
- Choose the type of Burner you want.
- Enter the area code for the Burner number.
- Select a number.
Burner is ideal for personal use, startups, and small businesses
Phoner is the fifth product on our list of the top 10 best apps to change phone numbers. It is a free app that changes your phone number when you call. Besides, like most other phone number-changing apps, Phoner works on the internet, as opposed to traditional calling methods that rely on SIM cards or phone lines.
The application also allows you to select your preferred area code and phone number based on your objectives, mask your identity, and use that number for various purposes without worry.
- Reliable calling
- A pool of international phone codes
- Call forwarding
- Multi-platform support
- Rich insights
The information is not available on the website.
Pros and Cons of Phoner
- The Phoner app is available on desktop and mobile devices.
- Enjoy 24/7 customer support.
- You can cancel your subscription anytime.
- Call and send texts from over 20 countries, including the US, Canada, Australia, the UK, and France.
- Lacks business-oriented features.
- The user interface is tricky.
- Customer support is slow to respond.
How To Set Up
- Download the Phoner app on your mobile device.
- Choose your desired second phone number.
- Start making calls and sending texts from your new number.
Phoner is ideal for small businesses, startups, and personal use.
Sideline is a phone number change app that caters to both individuals and businesses. The app assists users in keeping their personal and professional lives separate, as well as in organizing their communication.
Sideline’s suite of features allows you to protect your privacy, establish a professional identity, prioritize calls, connect with customers, add team members, and get more done. Additionally, the app allows you to select a unique number or use phone number porting to transfer an existing number.
- Number porting
- Separate caller ID
- Voicemail to text
- Custom voicemail
- SMS + MMS messaging
Here are two pricing options for Sideline:
- Sideline Standard Plan: $9.99/month (For individuals)
- Sideline Pro Plan: $14.99/month (For Professionals)
Pros and Cons of Sideline
- Easy-to-use and user-friendly interface.
- Reserve number.
- Auto-reply (text and call).
- Identify and block spam calls.
- Poor customer service.
- Calls and texts are deducted from your carrier plan.
- Subscriptions are expensive.
How To Set Up
- Go to the App Store (iOS) or PlayStore (Android), and search for the “Sideline” app.
- Choose the “Get” or “Install” option.
- Enter your details.
- Customize your Sideline number.
- Your Sideline subscription starts after 7 days.
Sideline is ideal for small businesses and personal use
If you want to cut the cord from your wireless provider, TextNow is an excellent option. The app allows you to make calls, receive incoming calls, and send text messages via two methods: Textnow SIM card or WiFi. Moreover, you can port your existing number or get a free local phone number from TextNow.
Besides that, this phone number change app allows users to choose between 1G and 5G networks based on their preferences. The app includes novel features that take user communication to the next level.
- Call forwarding & call waiting
- Caller ID
- Rich messaging (Emojis, Pictures)
- Number porting
- Voicemail transcription
TextNow pricing starts at $8.99 per month. Contact the provider for more pricing information.
Pros and Cons of TextNow
- Useful features, including voicemail, group texting, etc.
- Conference calling.
- Free calling and texting over Wi-Fi.
- Impressive tech support.
- Frequent pop-up ads.
- Security concerns.
- Dropped calls.
How To Set Up
- Download the TextNow app on your device.
- Launch the app and choose a free number with an area code of your choice. Alternatively, you can bring your number to TextNow.
- Start using the app to make calls and send texts for free.
TextNow is ideal for personal use, small businesses, and startups.
TextFree is one of the market’s earliest phone number-changing apps. TextFree, like other phone number-changing apps or TextFree alternatives, allows users to send and receive text messages as well as make and receive VoIP phone calls for free over the internet.
To get started with TextFree, simply choose your preferred area code, phone number, and payment method. The app is currently available in three versions: Android, iOS, and Web.
- International calling
- Custom phone numbers
- Calling & voicemail
- Unlimited free texting
- Mobile and app versions
The provider has not mentioned pricing details on the website.
Pros and Cons of TextFree
- Allows you to choose your area code.
- Offers unlimited text and picture messaging.
- Free mass texting.
- Lets you select a custom phone number.
- An overwhelming number of ads with the free plan.
- An inefficient user interface.
- Poor call quality.
How To Set Up
- Download the TextFree app.
- Choose a phone number from a selection of area codes to find the perfect number.
- Start using the app to make calls and send texts for free!
TextFree is ideal for small businesses and personal use
Ring4 is a low-cost and simple phone number-changing app that allows users to set up their business phone number within a minute. You can either port your current number or get a free local number from Ring4.
Compared to other phone number-changing apps, Ring4 has more features, including recording custom voicemail greetings, DND mode, call recording, and more. It also has a user-friendly dashboard that provides real-time insights into the calling operation.
- Unlimited cloud storage
- Support MMS
- Free number porting
- Local phone numbers
- Third-party integrations
- Easy setup
The Ring4 change phone number app is available in two versions, which are listed below:
- Personal App: $9.99/number/month (For individuals)
- Business App: $9.99/number/month (For teams)
These are the monthly subscription charges. However, a business app is also available for an annual subscription fee of $8 per number of users.
Pros and Cons of Ring4
- Handles Team Lines.
- Transcribe calls.
- Customize your phone number by region within the United States.
- Free video conferencing
- No desktop app.
- Does not allow for group messaging.
- The payment plan is challenging to understand.
How To Set Up
- Download the app.
- Create your first phone number by clicking on the designated option.
- Pick the country and area code for the number.
- Once your number is created, you can start making calls with it.
Ring4 is ideal for small businesses, medium businesses, and personal use
Telos is a phone number-changing app that allows you to manage outgoing and incoming calls, send free text messages, and share photos, videos, and location over WiFi without needing a SIM card.
The app is ideal for individuals and professionals with poor mobile network coverage and those looking for a low-cost communication solution. The app provides phone numbers for several countries, including the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada. To make calls or send text messages, users must purchase Telos credit.
- Call Blocking
- Caller ID display
- Call forward
- Voicemail messages
- Free Telos-to-Telos calling
To make calls using the Telos phone number changing app, you must first purchase or earn Telos credits. Users will be charged Telos credits per minute of calling. For example, calling the US costs 0.9 cents per minute, while calling India costs 1.85 cents per minute, and so on. Also, Telos-to-Telos calls are free, even internationally!
Telos is ideal for Small businesses and Personal use
Pros and Cons of Telos
- Telos offers the ability to send faxes using your mobile device.
- Telos provides a credit-based scoring system that allows you to earn free calling and texting points.
- It allows you to send texts to more than 200 countries.
- Seamless conference calls.
- The user interface could be improved.
- Poor call quality.
- Limited accessibility.
How To Set Up
- Download the Telos app.
- To begin, you will need to provide a phone number.
- Register using your phone number, as this is required to receive an activation code via SMS.
- Start making calls.
This brings us to the end of our list of the top 10 apps for changing phone numbers. As we have seen, most of these applications have more or less similar functionalities. However, they all have different pricing plans as well as some unique features. To make an informed decision, thoroughly examine each of these phone number-changing apps.
Conclusion: Number-changing apps are useful not only for individuals but also for businesses. It allows individuals to conceal their identities while also allowing businesses to build trust among local customers. However, in order to get the most out of this solution, you must select one of the best phone number-changing apps listed above.
If you want a separate number for business or other activities, you can use apps to change phone numbers, like DialerHQ, to get a new number. However, if you want to permanently change your number, you can contact your cell phone carrier and request a number change. With this method, you don't need to replace your SIM card. It's important to note that the process can vary depending on your carrier, and you may be charged a fee, and a change number app is free
One of the most convenient ways to mask your phone number is by using an app that changes your phone number, like DialerHQ, to protect your privacy. With these apps, you can easily create a second phone number that you can use as your real number without compromising your privacy.
Changing your phone number through your carrier can take up to four hours to complete, and even longer for landline carriers as their Caller ID systems can take up to three days to show the updated calling information. However, you can opt for faster alternatives by using a phone number-changing app that instantly provides you with a new phone number.
Updated : May 23, 2023