Senior Writer: Hiba Ali
There used to be a lot of complexity and cost associated with international calls. Nowadays, international calling apps can efficiently and cheaply connect you with people worldwide. These services reduce your fees and simplify the complicated process of making international calls.
In today’s world, most call service companies offer free calling plans with unlimited minutes, but not when it comes to international calls, such as connecting with people abroad. Today, many telecom companies provide free international calls to nearly any country nationwide.
In addition, thanks to technological advancements, several calling platforms have emerged and are here to stay. With these platforms, you can now engage with others on an international level at a minimal to zero cost.
Furthermore, you won’t have any technical glitches or problems using these best international calling apps. Several free international calling apps are available to match your personal or professional needs. In this article, we will answer all your questions about international callings, like how to get an international calling app for free, and suggest some apps to call internationally for free.
What is Free International Calling App?
An international calling app lets users make international calls and texts to anyone living abroad. The top-rated apps include DialerHQ, Facetime, and Skype.
The DialerHQ app allows users to make affordable international calls. As an app that offers cheap international phone calls, users can stay in touch with their friends, colleagues, family, and anyone else who lives abroad.
International calling apps are great virtual phone systems that provide flexibility to call anytime, anywhere, and to any cellular device. You can easily place calls to landlines, cellular phones, and VOIP phones for business communication, regardless of what telecom services they subscribe to. As a result, international calling apps benefit business owners with business partners, customers, and clients abroad.
Additionally, international calling apps are reasonable for people who visit different countries regularly, either on official business or for personal reasons. DialerHQ lets you make international calls for only a fraction of the cost, so you’re worth it to check them out.
Most of these providers offer mobile apps, too – many of them will be able to access your contact list, making the call as seamless as possible. Regardless of your provider, you’ll pay in the same way, either with credit or by signing up for a monthly plan (which may be more cost-effective overall).
Depending on the service, you may be charged a connection fee and a per-minute rate (often as low as a penny).
How to Make Free International Calls with apps?
When it comes to making free international calls, every app has its distinct process, but for example, getting started with the DialerHQ takes only a few steps:
- Download the DialerHQ app
- Choose a number with a country code of your choice.
- Communicate with your customers anywhere, anytime.
Role of Technology in Making Free International Calling a Reality
It has been a long journey since Alexander Graham Bell first invented communication. Technological advances in communication led to several innovations, including VoIP technology, which continues to evolve and is a popular communication tool today.
There was a time when people were curious about international phone calls and how to call international for free. Nevertheless, the technological advancements in the communications industry have made this possible.
As a result, many business organizations have adopted VoIP business phone systems as their preferred communications infrastructure since it offers many advantages, such as cost savings, scalability, flexibility, and efficiency.
Generally speaking, free call services use VoIP technology, allowing you to make calls over cellular and broadband connections; these phone calls are typically made using consumer-level applications or specific software.
Despite their notoriety, VoIP phones refer to applications that let you make phone calls over the internet. They turn your computers into “real phones,” enabling you to make phone calls from phone to phone, PC to phone, and even between VoIP-enabled devices.
Usually, VoIP services for companies have a subscription cost, depending on the plan you choose. As for the features of these plans, you get what you pay for.
15 Best Free International Calling Apps
To assist you in making the suitable choice when choosing a free international calling app, here is a list of the best free international calls app for connecting with people internationally:
DialerHQ is one of the best international calling apps in the market that significantly assists you in reaching out to your international clients at reasonable rates. It is a private phone number calling or business calling app that allows businesses or individuals to reach out to customers abroad.
The DialerHQ makes seamless international calls and texts without using landline SIM cards. Instead, you can use mobile or Wi-Fi data to make calls and send messages.
- Seamless call forwarding
- User-friendly interface
- No extra cost for international calls and texts
- Limited safety features
- Lagging call quality
- The mobile app needs improvement
- Unlimited: $12/user/month
- Custom: Custom pricing
- App store
CallHippo is one of the leading VoIP service providers in the industry. It has gained huge popularity in this segment as it offers seamless calling services across 50+ countries worldwide. This software offers many features, including an interactive dashboard, call recording, tracking, speech analytics, etc. Moreover, it offers services to large brands having a global presence.
Brands primarily use it to centralize and grow their sales and customer experience operations. It operates on a smart AI algorithm that ensures the quickest and highest call routing and connectivity ratio. In addition, the onboarding process is quick and hassle-free. All the services provided are completely cloud-based, making theinfrastructure extremely secure. Hence, CallHippo is the most reliable VoIP service provider because it is easy to integrate and highly scalable, which leads an organization to achieve the desired outcome.
- Amazing call quality
- High data security
- Seamless third-party integration
- Easy-to-use dashboard
- Demands for a stable internet
- Voicemail transcription requires extra money
- Customer service needs improvement
- CallHippo pricing plans range from $0 – $40 per monthly user.
- App store, MacOS, Windows, & Android.
Apple’s FaceTime app is a free international calling app that lets you make free audio and video calls to other Mac, iPad, iPod touch, and iPhone users worldwide. To get started, you’ll need an Apple ID. FaceTime automatically registers your phone number when you use an iPhone.
While FaceTime Video is excellent for seeing the person you’re calling, FaceTime Audio is a voice-based phone call similar to Skype or something similar. However, because FaceTime Audio uses voice over internet protocol (VoIP technology), it often provides superior call quality than regular phone calls.
- Quick setup and effortless sign-in
- Easy integration with Apple devices
- HD-quality audio/video calls
- End-to-end encryption
- Video calls consume high data
- This application operates exclusively on iOS devices
- For optimal performance, a high-speed internet connection is necessary
- FaceTime is free for iOS users.
- iOS devices, iPad, iPhone, and MacBook.
Viber is the best free international calling app that lets you make free voice and video calls; click “Free Call” to call or chat with someone in your Viber contact list to other Viber users and make cheap international calls
to landlines and mobiles. In addition, your contacts can find you on the app, as Viber has Android and iOS apps and a browser version.
Although Viber isn’t as popular in the United States as WhatsApp and Skype, it’s popular in other regions, including Eastern Europe. Additionally, the app allows you to share messages, photos, and other media, like its competitors.
- Easy sign-up process.
- Seamless transfer of high-quality images
- Create groups and add participants easily
- End-to-end encryption
- Cannot block calls from unknown users
- Too many ads
- No spam filtering
- Calls made via Viber are free. Regardless, all USA-based landline and mobile numbers can be dialed at a flat rate of only 1.9 cents per minute.
- iOS and Android devices.
Rebtel is a cutting-edge international phone call app that works through landlines rather than Wi-Fi, so you get crystal-clear audio wherever you are. Rebtel excels when it comes to international calling, especially when it comes to calling quality and reliability.
In addition to the apparent call quality benefits, Rebtel offers a traditional phone service app that’s user-friendly and easy to understand. Plus, with its Red Box feature, you’ll get a tailored experience based on your specific needs.
- Low international calling rates
- User-friendly interface
- No need for Wi-Fi
- The app is easy-to-use
- Average call quality
- Poor customer service
- Can’t share images
- The Rebtel pay-as-you-go rate is 2.78 cents per minute, and the unlimited subscription rate is $10 monthly.
- Android and iOS
Skype, an international free calling app, has been around since 2003 and provides free national and international calls. With Skype, you can go for group voice or video calls and communicate with other Skype users using voice and video calls.
The only price you have to pay is if you want to send text messages or make calls to a cell phone or landline. Therefore, Skype to Skype international calls are free, but Skype to traditional phone calls are not.
- One of the best international calling apps
- Screen sharing
- Multi-device support option
- Easy sign-in process
- It requires a high-speed Wi-Fi connection
- Frequent connectivity issues
- No new features
- Skype is free. However, the subscription plan starts from £2.40 per month.
- Android, iOS, and Desktop (Windows).
PopTox lets you make free international calls to any number, including landlines, without installing an app or creating an account. Instead, it uses VoIP technology which you can access from your computer or smartphone, go to the site, enter the number, and click “Call.”.
You can make unlimited calls by paying per minute if your daily limit gets over. You can use PopTox from your computer or the mobile app, but you must have an internet connection.
- No sign-up is required for making phone calls
- Excellent voice quality
- Free calls from a cell phone or computer
- User-friendly interface
- Limited phone calls per day
- Limited free version
- Initially, the application may present a challenge in understanding its functionality
- Poptox’s pricing plans range from $10 – $50 per month.
- Web browsers like Opera, Google Chrome, Firefox, & UC Browser.
LINE is a free international calling app for android and iPhone that lets you make free international calls worldwide after watching a quick ad. It’s available in Google play and App Store, or you can download the desktop version. In this case, you can call a mobile phone or a landline without downloading the LINE app.
But if you’re using the LINE app, you can also make longer calls (for free) and send fun stickers and emojis. Keep in mind that you’ll need Internet access on your device to make the free calls, so hold a close eye on your data usage, or you will find yourself owning your cell phone carrier a fortune.
- Straightforward user interface
- Multi-platform support
- Fun filters for your chat
- Seamless integration with your account
- High network speed is required during calls
- Frequent call drops
- Limited to certain countries
- Line’s app pricing plans start at $9.99 – $14.99 monthly.
- Android, iOS, Windows, Nokia, and Blackberry
9. Vonage Mobile
Known as one of the leading phone companies in the industry, Vonage has many options for making international calls. VOIP pioneer Vonage offers international calling for residential and business landlines, plus Vonage Mobile is a great international calling app that allows you to make voice and video calls.
This app can also send complimentary video messages when you don’t want to make a phone call. It is available for Android, Apple devices, and tablets with cellular data and a reliable internet connection.
- Two-factor authentication to prevent fraud
- HD voice & call quality
- Easy to set up and simple application
- Call tracking and call merging features
- Customer support needs improvement
- Call drops are very frequent
- The majority of the time, the phone lines are not operational
- The pricing begins at $19.99 per month and goes up to $39.99 per line.
- iOS, Android, and desktop.
Tango, a free international call app and service allows you to send free texts, make free voice calls, and make free video calls worldwide, provided the other person also uses Tango. You can use Tango over WiFi or cellular networks.
The Tango mobile app works on Windows PCs, iPhones, iPads, Android devices, and Windows Phones. It is a simple app with a simple interface, but its call and video quality need to be improved. Not even using cellular networks you can also enjoy wifi calling with Tango using a strong WiFi connection.
- Switch between video and voice calls during conversations
- An all-in-one communication and entertainment solution
- Knowledgeable customer service
- The app is very user-friendly
- Video call glitches
- The video quality is quite low
- Video and audio synchronization errors
- It is free to use.
- Android, iOS, and Web
In addition to making international calls for free, VoipBuster allows its users to do high-quality voice communications around the globe using various methods: the downloaded version, the web browser, or the phone application can be used to make international calls.
This application includes an Android and iOS app, a complete guide on setting up and starting international calls, the ability to top up prepaid mobile numbers instantly, send international text messages, and quickly resolve customer service issues.
- Free PC to Phone calls in many countries
- The application is straightforward and user-friendly
- Many useful features
- It is free to use
- It doesn’t support video calls or text messages
- Terms and rates change without prior notice
- Automated volume control can become annoying sometimes
- The service is free, but you will be charged 5 cents for phone-to-phone calls.
- Windows, macOS & Android.
The free VoipStunt software allows you to make free calls to regular cell phones at various popular locations or meager rates to any other phone on the planet. The software works on computers, mobile devices, and fixed phones.
Additionally, peer-to-peer calls can be made for free using the software. With VoipStunt, you can make free in-app calls on your phone or computer. In addition, online calls have an unlimited duration.
- Free calls to landlines and mobiles to the USA
- Unlimited international calls
- Great call quality
- Easy-to-use user interface
- No free number
- The duration of the credit is too short
- Call droppings
- Phone calls are billed in cents and rounded up to the nearest minute.
- iOS, Android, and Symbian.
You can call your friends anywhere in the world using Voxofon cheap international calls, regardless of whether they are using an Italian landline or an Australian mobile phone.
Voxofon delivers your texts, pictures, and videos and conveniently receives the replies on Android and iOS devices (iPod, iPad, iPhone) and the desktop. You can send your contacts, photos, videos, audio messages, and locations.
- It is inexpensive
- Great audio quality
- Knowledgeable custom support
- You can easily send images
- Clients have difficulty making payments and getting phone credits
- They overcharge for credits
- Data is the only way to make calls
- Voxofon’s rates in the United States start from 0.9¢ – 1.3¢ per text/ call.
- Android phones, tablets, iOS (iPod, iPad, iPhone), and desktops.
If you live in the U.S., you may not have heard much about WeChat, but it is enormous in China, with over 1 billion active users. WeChat is available as an app in the App Store and Google Play, and you can also use it through a web browser. However, to use WeChat for free international calls, you must have a WeChat account.
Additionally, WeChat allows you to make free video calls, send messages, and share photos and videos. WeChat’s sticker gallery offers a variety of fun stickers to help make your chats more engaging.
- WeChat is free to use
- Seamless file sharing
- WeChat’s mini-programs for creating mini-apps
- It offers many advanced features
- WeChat doesn’t use end-to-end encryption
- Privacy issues
- Easy to get personal details
- Despite being free, WeChat charges an annual fee of USD 99 to verify Official Accounts (usually by phone).
- iOS, Android, Windows, and MacOS.
15. Google Voice
You can utilize your Google Voice number to place calls and text messages for free if you talk between it and other U.S. numbers. However, if you want to place calls overseas, you’ll need to add credits to your account.
However, Google Voice is relatively inexpensive since it works solely over the Internet. Therefore, wherever you have an Internet connection, you can access Google Voice, make and place calls, send texts, etc.
Furthermore, you only need a microphone and speaker to use Google Voice, so it’ll work wonders whether you use your laptop or smartphone.
- It offers free numbers
- Free calls to the USA
- Accurate caller identification
- AI technology with voice
- Limited Collaboration
- No toll-free numbers
- Limited text forwarding options
- Google Voice’s monthly pricing plans range from $10 – $30 per user.
- You can download Google Voice from the Google Play Store, Apple App Store, Chrome OS, Apple Mac, Windows, Android (latest two versions), and Apple iOS (latest two versions).
Whether it’s a free app or a fee-based service, when it comes to connecting with your customers abroad, there are plenty of options for international calling apps. So choose the app that offers your needed features and enjoy your experience.
Various free international calling apps are available to download, offering a range of data and call packages/plans to choose from. These are a few of the best international calling apps that have enabled individuals and businesses to thrive and form deeper relationships.
Using these international calling apps is as easy as registering and enabling a service, resulting in a seamless and optimized experience for you and your customers, regardless of where they live.
Updated : March 29, 2023